The God of Second Chances

At tonight's (a few weeks ago) Bible Study, a particular thought jumped out at me. Though not completely related to what we were studying, my mind sort of went off on this tangent. Also, remember that these are a finite human being's thoughts and not the inspired Word; therefore, they are not infallible.

God is NOT the God of second chances.

"And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:" - Hebrews 11:27
We are given just one life to live and one death - after that, we face the judgment. Those who have not put their absolute faith in the saving work of God's Son, Jesus Christ will face Him at the Great White Throne Judgment to give an account for the sin in their lives before being sentenced to eternal damnation in the Lake of Fire. There is no reincarnation, no chance to repent after death, no way to live life over again. It's simply death, then judgment. After that, it's eternity. Eternal punishment for the unrepentant soul. Harsh, isn't it? 

"...who will say unto him, What doest thou" - Job 9:12

It's not harsh. The Creator of the Universe has the right to ask His creation to worship Him. Nobody asks Him, "Hey God, what are You doing?" Nobody can say to Him, "I think I could do this better." But yet people try. "Why won't God let everyone into heaven? Why can't he just make us all good?" Everyone who is in Heaven will truly LOVE God because of His Son's redemptive work on our behalf. They care about worshipping and honoring Him and they HATE the sin that God hates! Unbelievers would not be happy in Heaven. God knows exactly how to run things. He doesn't give a second chance. You get one life - one chance - and then judgement. On the flip side...

God IS the God of second chances.

...nobody gives as many second chances as God.

"Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times:but, Until seventy times seven" - Matthew 18:21-22
As humans, our capacity for forgiveness varies greatly. Some of us are high-strung folks who find forgiving just once to be difficult. Others are so laid back, they'll let everyone roll over them time and again. Eventually, they'll reach their breaking point. God has an infinite capacity forgiveness. He has true forgiveness. Our lives our filled with so many second chances we don't even notice them. Stepping out the door this morning, I was not hit by a passing dump truck that could have hit and killed me! Think of that! On the way in to work, I passed a few cars and hit none of them; I hit a large puddle and didn't go flying off the road. When I got to work, I wasn't hit in the head by any of the boards sitting on the roof. Even though we had forgotten to tighten the lug nuts at all on my driver's side wheel, the wheel didn't fall off when I sped to a fire call later in the day. Think of all the times unbelieving people could have died but didn't!! Every soul on earth is just one breath away from eternity, yet God protects us from countless things we don't even know about!!! God is a God of second chances and He gives us one every breath we take. 

Maybe you've been ignoring all the chances God has given you. Don't ignore this one. For all you know, your next breath will be your last! Please, please take just ten minutes to watch this short video. What are ten minutes in all of eternity? What you decide now will affect you for all eternity! Will you face God someday and hear Him say, "Enter into the joy of your Lord," or "I never knew you. Depart from me"? 



~ "Cowboy" Nick

Comments

  1. I think I have to disagree with you on the Gospel. NOBODY is in heaven because they love God. NOBODY is in heaven because they care about worshiping and honoring God and because they hate sin. Everyone who is in heaven is there because they believed on Jesus Christ as the Messiah.
    John 6:40 " And this is the will of him that sent me,that every one which seeth the Son,and believeth on him, may have everlasting life:and I will raise him up at the last day."
    I am afraid the video on here is incorrect as well. The Bible does not say we must confess all our sins to be saved.That would take a real good memory.I don't mean to rant and rave, but there is no salvation when we add steps to believing the Gospel.That is why it is so important to be zealous for the pure and undefiled Gospel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing that out Matt. By no means do I believe that those are the reasons that we will be in Heaven. I'm afraid my writing was a little misleading. Everyone in heaven will love God and care about honoring and worshiping Him. I will watch the video again - I haven't watched it in a while but I had remembered it being good. It does say in the Bible though that if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive them and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. I'll watch the video and see if that's what he was saying.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous7/20/2015

      Matthew, I disagree with you on one point. Simply believing in Christ is not enough. I'm not saying you don't need to believe, don't get me wrong. But James 2 says more than once that faith without works is dead. You don't just need to believe, but to act on that belief as well.

      Delete
    3. I just found your comment.Your belief stems from a misunderstanding of the Bible.What did Paul and Silas say to the Philipian jailer in Acts 16:31 ? Acts 16:31 reads"And they said"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ ,and thou shalt be saved ,and thy house.
      John 6:47 "Verily, Verily , I say unto you ,He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
      Romans 4:5 "But to him that worketh not,but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
      I do not mean to sound arrogant,but you need to read and study the book of Romans
      God bless
      Matt Hopkins

      Delete
    4. Simply believing in Christ not enough? My friend, you are calling my Saviour and Lord a liar.
      John 6:40
      "And this is the will of him that sent me,that every one which seeth the Son,and believeth on him,may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

      Delete
    5. Anonymous11/18/2015

      I'm not sure you're quite getting what I'm saying, and I'm afraid I'm not very good at saying it. What saves is belief in Christ, I believe that. But you also need to act on the belief, or it isn't really true belief. If you really believe, then you will act on that belief.

      Delete
  2. Maybe I just misunderstood you .I didn't think you believed that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After a careful analysis of past blog posts,I have come to the conclusion that this blog is dying a slow but sure death. It is up to its author to revive it with more frequent posts.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In loving remembrance of Nicks blog.
    2012- 2015
    We will never forget you
    RIP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My blog's not dead, it's surely alive
      It's living on the interwebs, waiting to go online....
      But I need to give it some time and effort. Which I may do soon... :)

      Delete
  6. TheronG11/02/2015

    It's not dead. It's just disappeared into a permanent coma.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am afraid this conversation will be a long one,because I am having some difficulty in grasping what you are saying. Maybe this will help:
    1. I believe that every man born in Christ is a new creature.(2 Corinthians 5:17)
    2.Believe means believe. It does not mean believe and work. The book of James is talking about Christians who have faith,but have no works to go along with it. To make myself more clear ,if you are a man who has no money,you are unclothed , and you are dying of starvation, and a Christian walks by and says "Depart in peace, be ye clothed and filled",but don't feed him clothe him and help him,your faith is worthless because you didn't act upon it. It does not mean your faith is not there. Galatians and Romans are full of references that state works have nothing to do with salvation. Think about this verse carefully
    Romans 11:6
    " And if by grace,then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work."
    There has to compatibility between the book of James and the rest of the Bible. I know there are no contradictions in the Bible. The books of John, Romans ,Galations and Ephesions are very clear about Salvation. James 2 does not contradict them.
    Matt Hopkins

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11/19/2015

    1. Yes, the Bible makes that very clear.
    2. I'm not saying you are saved by works. The Bible is very, very clear on that, as well. I think you've got me on the rest of that, though. I guess I was assuming that if it was true faith, you would have the works.
    No, there are no contradictions in the Bible, I agree with you there, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that true faith will produce some sort of fruit. However often Christians make major mistakes, like David, who committed adultery and murder and like Peter who denied Jesus. Unfortunately, often unbelievers act more like Christians than Christians themselves. If we are not extremely careful we will start calling unbelievers Christians and vice versa. The only way we can know we have salvation is because of Jesus own words in John 47" Verily, verily,I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
      I have very much enjoyed our discussion
      God bless, Matt

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you enjoyed (or didn't enjoy) this article, consider leaving a comment so I know that ya stopped by. :) Go ahead, use smiley faces. :D And please keep your comment "with grace, seasoned with salt." Thanks!
"Cowboy" Nick

Popular posts from this blog

Safety Day '15 (Part 2)

Forgiveness