Safety Day 2015 (Part 1)

Hey y'all!!!
It's time for another post... I think. First off, I passed Firefighter 1 and so I now have my new helmet! It's a lot heavier than my old one, but it's like having stripes on my shirt. :)
The New Yorker helmet with my Foxfire band and Streamlight Vantage.
Now that we've got that bit of news out of the way, Saturday was exactly one year since the day I asked about joining Brandon Fire. And quite a few years before that was the most awesome safety day ever with helicopters and a fire to put out... but that's a little beyond the scope of this post. The other exciting thing about today was that we get to do stuff for kids and that is one of my favorite parts of being a firefighter! Safety Day is something we have every year. There's usually a police cruiser, a few fire apparatus, an ambulance, and something to do with bikes. Kids can bring their bikes in for tuneups, get free helmets and check out all the emergency services vehicles. I loved going to them when I was little and I'm sure my younger siblings do as well. A few folks were kind enough to take some pictures so I'll share them here.

Here are some of the few I took:
Firefighter Kyle Hutchins (we took Fire 1 together and passed)

Firefighter Riley Kenny

Also Firefighter Riley Kenny. Laughing about something by the looks of this picture.
Officer David Butterfield fulfilling every police officer's dream. :D


It's like riding an airplane except for it's connected to a truck!

Pictures I did not take:
I have never climbed a tower before. Ethan brought over Pittsford's ladder and let me try it out. Thanks, Ethan!

I also do not like heights.

Especially when they wobble.

Did I mention I do not like heights??
(Left to right) Firefighter Riley Kenny and Firefighter Jordan Martin

Firefighter Jason Martin... and Riley Kenny. 

Not every one I guess.

Firefighter Jason Martin, Firefighter Jordan Martin, and Firefighter Roger Bougor.

Chief Roman Wdowiak, Firefighter Rob Fales... and the same people in the last picture.
From here out is Mom's pictures until Hannah's pictures. I had to step away from this tour to tell Firefighter Jake Bertrand what I wanted for lunch. Left to right, Firefighter Jake Bertrand, me, Firefighter Riley Kenny, Safetry Officer Dennis Reisenweaver, and Firefighter Kyle Hutchins.

Showing the family my new helmet.


You might be a firefighter if... all your shirts say so. :)

Joe and I discussing climbing the ladder.
Climbing the ladder.

Here comes a future BFD firefighter! (Just 7 years away!)


Around here, the President gets of Air Force One using a Ladder truck!
The ladder may have been a little more than Gracie was anticipating.

Dad would have liked to go all the way to the top if he could have!
Not going up that far without a ladder belt!!
Leah holding my new helmet. She's told me on numerous occasions, "When I'm a big girl, I can get a car and go to fire calls when my pager goes off and ride with you in the fire truck!" I guess we'll see about that... :)

I think Dad really likes the spreaders!! Really likes them. :)
Our little flagger 
Hannah checking out the view from Engine 4's officer's seat. :)
Well folks, the clock tells me that I should have gotten some sleep quite a while ago, so I think maybe I'll take care of that right now. Expect Part 2 in the near future (like next 2 months or something!) :)
See y'all!
~Nick

Comments

  1. Whew! That ladder is scary! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an understatement! The first time I climbed it, I was shaking. The second time was a little better.

      Delete
    2. Naturally,if the ladder was not sturdy,you would be shaking.

      Delete
    3. The ground wasn't though! Haha

      Delete
  2. Salinn5/18/2015

    Sounds like you enjoy being a firefighter.;) Lol.
    Glad you finally updated again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love being a firefighter. :)

      Delete
  3. Awesome pics Nick!!! I've missed your blog posts :) Glad to hear from you again!! And I can't blame you for being afraid of heights..... Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! I have been bad about blogging I reckon. Maybe in the distant future I'll be better about it! :D Also, if I didn't say it earlier, congratulations to you and Doug!

      Delete
  4. That was a great post and I really enjoyed seeing all the pictures.
    The captions on those were just perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leah! Hopefully more will be coming one of these days!!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great time!! It definitely qualifies as one of my favorite parts of the firefighting life. :) I'll get over the fear of heights eventually. :) Have you ever climbed a really tall ladder before?

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you enjoyed (or didn't enjoy) this article, consider leaving a comment so I know that ya stopped by. :) Go ahead, use smiley faces. :D And please keep your comment "with grace, seasoned with salt." Thanks!
"Cowboy" Nick

Popular posts from this blog

The God of Second Chances

Forgiveness

Safety Day '15 (Part 2)