Forgiveness

This morning, as I sat in church, the words of Pastor's preaching managed to penetrate through my sleep-deprived mind from the fire calls of the night before / morning of today. Pastor recited the Lord's Prayer and something just jumped out at me.

"And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors."
Matthew 6:12


"And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil."
Luke 11:4


"And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.  But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses."
Mark 11:25-26

Jesus has done an amazing and incredible thing for you and me. He died on a cross to forgive sins that He never committed. You and I belonged on the cross. We belonged in a Christless hell for the rest of eternity. But for no other reason than pure, unselfish love, Jesus willingly died a painful death so He could take our punishment in order for us to spend eternity with Him. In the light of His beautiful and selfless sacrifice, why should we choose not to forgive the petty misdemeanors that other humans commit against us? When a little brother or sister breaks a favorite gadget. When our schedules are inconvenienced by people who don't show up on time. When our tender feelings are hurt. When somebody consistently irritates us. (Hey, I'm the one who needs forgiving on that one quite a bit) The list could go on endlessly. All of these things that spoil good friendships, ruin family relationships, and leave people hurt and angry are but a drop in the bucket compared to the ultimate price Jesus paid to redeem our unloving souls. Everyday, unbelievers (and many times, us believers) do things that we know displease our Savior. We lie (maybe just little lying words or actions). We covet. We are proud. And that list goes on endlessly too. Yet He patiently bears with us and forgives all of our rebellious ingratitude. The part that really caught my attention was "forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors." Wow. I don't know about y'all, but some days I'd be afraid to pray that. I guess I'm not always as forgiving as a should be. Anyway, I had these thoughts in my head and figured I might as well write it down before I forgot. :)
Y'all have a good night!
~ Nick

Comments

  1. So well written, Nick!! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful reminders. Yes, those thoughts went through my mind on Sunday too. Imagine if God only forgave me as much (or little) as I am willing to forgive others - I wouldn't be saved right now!
    He is our sure Foundation. Thank you for writing these things down and for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget to update your brother's & sister's list over there (:
    I seem to remember a cute little guy that's just joined the family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done did it! I thought I did it before, but it must have disappeared.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your nice comment, Hannah! I appreciate your prayers. :)

      Delete
  5. Anonymous12/02/2014

    Hi Nick, I just got around to reading your post, and I found it to be very edifying to me. It challenged me personally.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you enjoyed (or didn't enjoy) this article, consider leaving a comment so I know that ya stopped by. :) Go ahead, use smiley faces. :D And please keep your comment "with grace, seasoned with salt." Thanks!
"Cowboy" Nick

Popular posts from this blog

The God of Second Chances

Safety Day '15 (Part 2)