Our Cieled Houses

Recently, Pastor asked me to preach a sermon at our church. After having done so,  I can say in hindsight that every Christian young man ought, at some point in his life, to preach a message. First, it gives a deep sense of responsibility that may not otherwise be present. Preaching is not saying whatever comes to ones mind, rather it must be the result of careful study and much prayer. It cannot  be what one would like to talk about - it must be what the Lord has laid on his heart. Second, it gives a tremendous appreciation for his Pastor. Hours of study and prayer goes into a single message. It does not simply flow into an outline and then to a sermon (at least in my experience) It also provides an admiration for preachers before study guides, commentaries, encyclopedias, and the Internet.

All of these things became apparent when I gave this sermon. Quite frankly, I didn't want to preach this message. It isn't exactly fun to tell a group of Bible-believing Christians that we might have idolatry in our hearts. The Lord laid this topic on my heart a few years back (quite a few years), so when Pastor Rhodes asked me to preach a message, I had a basic idea of what I ought to say. John Bunyan was writing a message to give to his congregation once and the devil told him, "John! You can't preach this! It condemns you! You'd be a hypocrite!" I kinda felt that way when I wrote this. It does condemn me and I am guilty of some of the very things I mention here, but it is not where I really want to stay. By God's grace, I'll press towards the mark and receive the prize someday. I'm extremely thankful for His grace which takes away my sins if I confess them. Bless the Lord! If you would like to see the video, it's on YouTube but the audio quality is extremely poor. The above audio was taken from the cassette tape (yes, we still record cassette tapes, but we do use DVDs too :-D) and recorded to my computer.

Comments

  1. Hi Nick,
    I had not stopped by here in awhile so I thought I would pop in and say hello. :) I saw your families names and ages on the side. Leah actually turned two in Feb. :) I was glad you had the dates there as I had "forgotten" Jonathan's is very near. ~ Aunt Nikki ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aunt Nikki! I play on getting back on the ball with posts more now. :)

      Delete
  2. TheronG3/14/2014

    Happy New Year! No, I don't mean Chinese New Year. It really has been that long. However, thanks to the Chinese, I can say Happy New Year again, so here goes: Happy New Year!

    You still use cassette tapes? Haven't those been obsolescent since, like, forever? Since before your last blog post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Cassette tapes are ancient - oh, wait - no they aren't! I remember before CDs were commonly used! I really wish our church would upgrade though. MP3 downloads would be the next step. :D

      Delete
    2. TheronG3/29/2014

      I can also remember a time when cassettes were more common than CDs and when we still used floppy disks. Maybe we're getting ancient too.

      Delete
    3. We're not ancient yet - we just are good at remembering history. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Nick,
    I haven't had a chance to listen to your message yet, but it looks like one I could benefit from. I was really sorry to have missed it; everyone else told me it was very thought provoking.
    Hoping everyone's staying well! Enjoy the snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the first person to actually comment on the message! :D I hope it is a blessing - I'd be interested to hear what you thought of it after listening to it. Did you still want the CD?
      We're all well. How about your family? I'll try hard to enjoy the snow! :D

      Delete
  4. You know I wouldn't say it if it were not true ... I am very proud of you! It was a very good message and I am thankful that you took preaching the Word very seriously.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you enjoyed (or didn't enjoy) this article, consider leaving a comment so I know that ya stopped by. :) Go ahead, use smiley faces. :D And please keep your comment "with grace, seasoned with salt." Thanks!
"Cowboy" Nick

Popular posts from this blog

The God of Second Chances

Forgiveness

Safety Day '15 (Part 2)