Bobbi Blue

Here she is!
Howdy y'all!
A new post is arguably way overdue, but a late post is better than no post. I'll try to make this one exciting to make up for my failure at posting lately. :D Here's a list of points to be covered:
  1. My truck!
 First, all y'all are probably wondering exactly where did the name come from? My cousins have a truck called Betty Blue (I borrowed the picture from Obadiah's blog) Well, since I'm their cousin, this truck would theoretically be their truck's cousin. Therefore, I call her Bobbi Blue. That's probably one of the least wordy explanations I ever gave in my life! :D
She's a pretty truck, too.
Now for the story of how I got Bobbi Blue. :D I looked at a truck up in NH (I just looked it up on Craigslist - it's either sold or he scrapped it, LOL) Well, I called the guy and he said he had a few people coming at 11:00. If I showed up first and wanted it, it would be mine since people hardly ever show up. Says I, "I'll be there at 9:00." And I did show up at nine. I guess the guy had a talent for taking pictures. It sure wasn't as good as he made it sound and it looked like something that needed a major overhaul. It probably wasn't the prized antique he made it out to be. I still liked it though since it was a '70s F100 and it also was four wheel drive, which is extremely hard to find. To make a long story short, I was ready to buy it and then bad things happened as I pulled back into the parking lot, so I called off the deal. (That was really the Lord's leading - not my wise judgement :D)
It looks much better in the picture than it did IRL.

Back to Craigslist I went. I found this really pretty truck, but it was down in Connecticut. A few phone calls later, I arranged to come down that night. The trip was 200 miles!!! After about four hours, we finally showed up at the guy's shop. The truck was everything he said it was - it needs a few things (and a thing or two that I broke ;-( ) but overall, she's beautiful. I wouldn't have installed a dual flowmaster exhaust, but I sure won't complain that I have one! :D It's fun to rev the engine at a stoplight and listen to the power! (Ok... so I'm a [somewhat immature] guy) Here's where the fun starts - I jumped in the truck and drove to the nearest gas station. Since the fuel gauge doesn't work, I buy me a nice little (overpriced) two gallon gas can and some of the cheapest bungee cords I've ever seen in my life (the truck doesn't have a tailgate) and then I hit the highway with the van in tow. I wasn't able to put more than a quarter gallon in the main tank which seemed kind of funny. (I later learned that you need to hold the fuel nozzle just right since she doesn't handle the vapor barrier systems too well) Little Man rode with me for about an hour until the noise really started getting to him. I turned onto an exit which brought me to Enfield, CT. I figured I better find me a gas station since she must be getting pretty close to empty. I'm driving down the streets and I see no open gas stations. Hmmm... Well, Little Man still wants to get into the van, so I pull into a dark parking lot to let him off. Bad idea. He jumps into the van and Joe jumps into my truck. As we leave the parking lot, a cop pulls in. Uh-oh. I was driving a pickup truck, which most certainly is not a car, and the plates I had were for my Subaru. We leave the parking lot and the cops read Dad's plates. Everything's A-OK. So they run my plates. That's where the "fun" begins. The blue red lights come on and I pull over. The cop walks up to my window and asks for my driver's license and registration. I give him my license, but of course I don't have a registration - I just bought the truck! I explain all this to him and hand him the bill of sale... which doesn't have my name on it, since I never filled it out!!! For all practical purposes, it looks like I stole my truck!!!! Well, the officer goes up and says something to Mom and Dad, then comes back. The slightly older, shorter, and less friendly officer told Joe to get out of the truck, while the younger, taller, and more friendly officer asked me to walk around behind the truck. So I did. They asked me to stand with my legs spread apart and my hands behind my back and informed me that I was to be searched. No problem. Then I felt some cold metal cut into my wrists. Just a bit surprised, I asked, "Am I under arrest?" What a stupid question! :D They marched me back to the car and loaded me in and informed me that I was under arrest for misuse of plates, no proof of insurance, and operation of an unregistered vehicle. The younger officer offered to loosen the cuffs if they were too tight. They were, but I sure wasn't going to say anything. :) We sped through the dark night / morning (It was 11:00 PM - 12:00 AM) back to the police station where I was offloaded into jail. After about five minutes, the shorter officer shows up and informs that I can be released on $500 bail (they found out that I had cash left over from buying my truck). Hey, it beats staying in jail so I said yes. He lets me out of the cell (still in handcuffs) and walks me into the room. Another officer enters, laughs and says, "You arrested this kid!?' I guess I'm not the typical kid you see in jail. :D The younger cop (Officer Ryan) takes the cuffs off cause I'm not dangerous and has me sit down while we fill out the papers. Next, they map every square inch of my hand and check with the FBI to make sure I'm not wanted for stealing old trucks. :D Officer Ryan tells me about how he was fingerprinting a drunk guy and the guy kept falling asleep! (You stand up when you get fingerprinted) I couldn't resist joking around a bit. "Well I'm not drunk, but I might just fall asleep!" I should know better then to joke in situations like that! LOL I get a nice little picture taken at around 1:00 AM, more papers signed and filled out before leaving at 2:00 AM. Then it's off to... THE DENNY'S PARKING LOT! We try to get some sleep (I failed and fought sleepiness the rest of the day) At about 7:45, I get to the DMV only to stand in line for 2 hours waiting for a paper plate to get my truck back home. The remainder of the journey was uneventful. None of us fell asleep on the road, which was good. Now I'm thankful to just be back home with my truck. :D Everyone at the police station and the impound yard was sad that I got arrested, which was nice. I'll try to do another post after going to court on Monday. Until then, have a blessed week! :D

~"Cowboy" Nick
P.S. - I got me a phone with a camera so expect more pics! :D

Comments

  1. I love your truck, it is awesome !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobbi Blue is really BEAUTIFUL, Nick! That was probably one of the toughest lessons you'll learn in your life. Glad you got through it and it's good that it happened early in life, I guess. Now, just think of all those people you can warn so it won't happen to them. I'm glad your dad and family were all there with you. I'd have died if I had to go through something like that alone! We're praying for your day on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be good with me if that's the toughest lesson I ever get! :D Thanks for praying, Mrs. V! :D

      Delete
  3. Well, it was one of my biggest adventures!!! Dad and I were talking all about your truck as we followed you, so thankful you did not buy the other one. I think that "something bad" that happened to other truck, happened when your Mom was home praying that you would NOT buy it :).
    It is a beauty and we will NEVER forget getting it :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be surprised if that was what happened. :D I really am thankful that something bad did happen. :D

      Delete
  4. What a story! You must have been terrified! You definitely don't look like the kind of person that would get arrested. :)
    Your truck looks a lot like Nathan's. Were you looking for a truck like his?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it felt a little unnatural, but I can't say I was terrified. I'll admit Nathan did sort of get me started on Fords, but I always liked the grille style of '73 - '77.

      Delete
  5. How awesome! My dad just got us an old Ford '65 and I love it so much. Old trucks are epic!

    -Leah Kathryn
    apassionatafortheking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I concur with the statement of the epicness of old trucks!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Yup! Thankfully I have the truck and hopefully all will be well! :D

      Delete
  7. TheronG3/29/2014

    So now you're a jailbird... I knew it was only a matter of time... I could continue at length on this subject, but I won't.

    60's-70's era military jets were also really beautiful airplanes, so it wasn't just the trucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are jets the same things as airplanes? That was a rhetorical question. :)

      Delete
    2. TheronG3/30/2014

      Jets and airplanes are not the same thing. Jets are a subset of the set Airplanes, so a jet is an airplane, but an airplane is not necessarily a jet. Many airplanes are piston-engined. Some experimental types have been built with rocket engines.
      Piston-engined military types from that era were mostly rather ugly.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you had a nice time. :) Anyway, nice truck, and at least you made it home without any car accidents.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you enjoyed (or didn't enjoy) this article, consider leaving a comment so I know that ya stopped by. :) Go ahead, use smiley faces. :D And please keep your comment "with grace, seasoned with salt." Thanks!
"Cowboy" Nick

Popular posts from this blog

The God of Second Chances

Safety Day '15 (Part 2)

Forgiveness