Deep Thoughts on Important Subjects

Howdy y'all!
The title was, er... completely irrelevant to this post. It simply sounded magnificent so I typed it in. So much has happened since the last time I have had a monologue with you all! I hope this huge post will have been worth the long wait. I'll list the greatest events below, and you can decide if they're worth reading about! :D
  1. My birthday
  2. Driver's license! <-- :D
  3. Car stuff
  4. Applying for jobs
That, my friends, is how not to write a cohesive list. At least it conveyed the main points.
November 11th was my birthday, and we had an awesome time! Actually, it's been over a month since then, so the details are not fresh in my mind. Since my camera and the camera on my iPod are both broken, pictures will have to be fewer. Grandpa, Grandma, and some of our neighbors came over as usual. We ate cake (yeah! :D) and ice cream, as well as a delicious meal. (I love delicious meals!!)
Then we had the "present thing" - Jonathan came up with that term a couple years back, during his birthday - and everyone gave me some presents and cards. (The little kids made some really cute ones) Lots of presents were for my car - well, for me to use on my car. After that, Mom and Dad gave me a heavy present in a rather large box. Remember how I was trying to sell a banjo? Well, it ain't for sale anymore! :D Mom and Dad bought it from Brian while I was trying to sell it. I really love to play it! I can play Cripple Creek pretty fluently, Foggy Mountain Breakdown okayish, and I'm working on I'll Fly Away and Are You Washed in the Blood. Thanks, Mom and Dad, for the awesome birthday present!! :D
I got a lot of these pictures from Mom's blog.
Personal protocol requires that I wear a cowboy hat for official photos.

May the pickin' begin!
Now for the next issue... the driver's license. I speak of this subject with a mixture of pain, joy, and embarrassment. I failed the driver's test. Not once. Twice. Okay, the first time I went over the speed limit - automatic fail! Yeah, that was definitely my fault (but it was only a little bit). On the second test, I failed by one point. There was a little discrepancy of the points on that test. Our Pastor's wife said that the state will intentionally fail people. Whether to knock the wind out of their sails, or to relieve their wallet, we don't know. Either way, it accomplished both for me. :-O The third, and (thankfully!) final, time; we walked in a few minutes early. An examiner from another testing center was at this one for the day to give CDL tests. Having nothing to do, he offered to test me. What a blessing! Just as we walked out the door, the other examiner walked in. I said "Hi" and gave her a triumphant grin - I wasn't ever going back there! :D This guy was really easy-going and helpful. I passed by t-- points. He did suggest that I was a speeding ticket waiting to happen though. I have since attempted to drive more slowly.
Two days after I got my license, I got a flat tire. :-( We boys used to have a tree house where my car is parked. Unfortunately, I backed over one of the nails that used to be there. That didn't take long! Shortly thereafter, I hit a rabbit ;-( while driving the neighbor to our house. I really like rabbits, and I felt bad that I had hit it. I think it sort of bumped up under my car. It was quite dead when I got out and looked at it. :-( As if I hadn't messed up enough things with my car, I went off the road on the way to work! Dad was driving the box truck ahead and I was behind in my car. We were driving down a dirt road, and all seemed well. As we went around a series of turns, my car begin to slide. I quickly turned the wheel to the other side and seconds later my car was careening to the opposite edge of the road. Once again, I over-corrected and in a second, my car was speeding sideways down the road. I saw the trees fly by and Dad said he saw me clear the snow off a small boulder, but nothing worse happened than a small crack in the lower part of the bumper and a considerable pile of snow on the roadside. My first thought was, "I sure hope these airbags don't blow up. It'll cost too much to replace them!" Also, I recalled a story Grandpa R had told me about his truck. He'd sold it to a guy in his church. The guy's son wrecked the truck and was telling Grandpa about it. He went off the road to one side, hit a tree; then went to the other side and hit another tree - then (according to the way he told it) he lost control and hit a few more! Grandpa always thought that was so funny. (If you didn't, read it again. :D) My next thought was, "Well, I'd better brace myself to get punched in the face with an airbag!!!" Thankfully, the car came to a stop without much incident. I thanked the Lord for protecting my car and myself. Later when we drove through, it appeared that three other people had gone off the road in that spot, one of them hitting a telephone pole.
Two weeks ago, I went around to all the local computer repair shops to apply for work. Only a few asked for my resume, and all of them were not hiring. I was going to this one place in downtown, but all the parking spots had parking meters. I hate paying for parking, and it didn't help that I didn't have any money on me. So, I turned into a side street and ended up at least a quarter mile from my destination. However, I saw a sign for a website design company near where I parked. "Hmmm..." I said. "I'll go in there after I check out the computer repair place." Turns out, the guy at the web design shop had just been thinking about hiring. He's sending some work my way and may (hopefully) end up hiring me! See how much you can be blessed when you don't use parking spaces that you have to pay for? :) I'm really thankful for this opportunity. I can't wait for the first client to contact me.
+Timothy Lockwood noticed that I had not included his name in the giveaway! I'm really sorry Timothy! Everyone remind me he get's two entries in the next giveaway. Which, commences right now. I happen to have an extra pair of socks I'm giving away! Just kidding, Timothy. We'll do another one soon - it was really fun doing the last one.
I would keep typing, but the night wears on and I must work tomorrow. Therefore, I shall say goodbye. Goodnight, y'all!
~Nick~

Comments

  1. Happy birthday!! Congrats on your drivers license!! They made both our older brothers take the drivers license test twice! Hope you get the job! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Were your older brothers reckless drivers? Jk :D

      Delete
  2. At least you didn't crash into your dad like I did last year... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That proves I am a better driver. Just kidding - I was probably going faster when I hit the corner than you did when you hit your dad.

      Delete
    2. LOL...just a quick funny story for you. So after that incident I always drove the red mini van, and last week Dad decided we needed to switch vehicles since the kiddos are in booster seats, and all of them now fit in the red van. The gas needle is broken in the car, so we get gas based on the number of miles we have driven...250 in the winter and 300 in the summer. Well, Saturday night I noticed I was at 248...which meant leaving around 8:00 Sunday morning so I could get gas and still be at choir practice on time. We are only about 6 miles from the church, so dad said it would be ok if I was like five miles over, that way I could just get gas on my way home. I stopped and pumped gas on my way home from church, and for some reason it only put 12 1/2 gallons in the car. I'm used to like 15 or 16, so I wasn't sure what happened. I reset the odometer and made my way home. When I walked in the house, I told Dad, "I'm a bit confused...it only put 12 1/2 gallons in?!?!?!" I wasn't sure how far I could go since it "didn't" fill the tank all the way. The look on Dad's face was priceless! He said, "Uh...you really don't want to put anymore in...it's only a 14 gallon tank!" LOL! I forgot...the car tank is smaller than the van tank. Oops! I guess that was one of my blonde moments:)

      Delete
  3. I REALLY was laughing out loud with the socks give away!! In this house I WOULD enter if someone was giving away free socks :). My first thought was, " WHAT!! He is giving away his socks with all the "complaints" he could just give them to one of his brothers!"
    I am thankful the Lord protected YOU then the car :). Your car is nice but you are not replaceable :).
    Hopefully your driving incidents are all over now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^ I second that! Hopefully it's all smooth (inexpensive) driving from here out. :D

      Delete
  4. So much. Aye,hard to read. :-D I tease. We are still working on your birthday present.I have the fabric picked out and your car small gift is on the way still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realize some of my posts warrant a tl;dr - that's why I don't read them after I write them! I can't wait to see what the gift is! :D

      Delete
  5. TheronG12/26/2013

    That post was a disappointment after the title. I was hoping for deep thoughts, and instead got an assortment of random facts about birthdays and cars. As a result it still remains to be seen whether you are capable of deep thought.
    However, it is very easy to see how you contrived to fail a driving test twice. You horrible mean person, killing poor little bunny rabbits. I would never run over a rabbit. Just hedgehogs...

    I want to enter the draw for your extra socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have deep thoughts... I just didn't post them. I actually think you would fall into the class of equally mean, since hedgehogs are also cute.

      Did I mention the socks were my favorite pair? Trust me, there still is life left on them.

      Delete
  6. Awesome cake! Who made it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad made it. He always makes awesome cakes! :D I'll have to dig up some of the pictures of cakes he's made before. They'd be fun to look at!

      Delete
  7. Hello, Nick! This is Mrs. Smith. I am signed in under Heather's account because she has a wonderful reading list and it is easy for me. Heheheh. I enjoyed your post. Happy Birthday, again! I am surprised you are still driving. :O) :O) :O) You are very transparent in sharing about your driving experiences, including your driving tests. Before honour is humility. You are honoured! :O) :O) :O) I would enjoy hearing you play your banjo. I actually like the banjo a lot. Perhaps you can post a video at some time playing. We trust all is well in your beautiful part of the country. It was 31 here today. Soooooo warm. Praise the Lord. The "highs" this week will be BELOW zero. Oh I can't wait. Many, many blessings! Please tell your dear Mom, HELLO from the midwest. Mrs. Smith, Hebrews 10:24

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to upload a banjo video soon. I am learning Will the Circle Be Unbroken, Foggy Mountain Breakdown (otherwise I couldn't even say I was learning banjo, lol), Cripple Creek, and Are You Washed in the Blood?
      It is sort of beautiful over here. I have always been one to prefer warmer temperatures. :D Mom read your comment. 31 degrees is not too bad for December.

      Delete
  8. Congrats on getting your driver's licence! Hopefully reading your blog will help me know just what not to do when I take my driver's test.:) just kidding.
    Hoping you get that computer job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah! :D Actually, if you like - I saved the papers from the driving test for any of my siblings or friends who would like to look at them. I can bring them to church if they would be helpful.

      Delete
  9. On second thought, that didn't sound very nice. :( I'm sure you're doing great, and judging from how I'm taking to driving, I will have so many mistakes of my own to worry about that I will have no need of looking at other people's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I didn't take offense, although I wouldn't call smashing into snowbanks and running over cute little woodland creatures doing great. :D Hopefully you do better than me concerning running into / over stuff. :)

      Delete
  10. You play banjo, eh? Pretty well? (yes, you can say "yes", if its true)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I play banjo. I wouldn't say I'm very good at it. I can play one song well. But I've only been playing for a little over a month.

      Delete
  11. Happy late birthday!! Or is it happy very early birthday? Depends on how late I am.
    That sounds like a fair deal. Two entries. And I could use another pair of socks. I'm for it. Sign your name on them to make them authentically authentic (Does that make sense?). Anyway, keep posting. I enjoy hearing form you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Timothy! :D
      If I come down to Mexico, maybe I'll bring an extra pair of socks with me. :D
      I'm glad you enjoy hearing form me. :)

      Delete
  12. I hope you enjoyed your "warm" day yesterday:) With windchill, it was -25 for us! It's supposed to be a high of -17 today:(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Nick, I hope you get hired.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm its pretty cold out here. The high for today is minus eight. High of minus 17? no thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...we're in the middle of a blizzard right now. All highways closed. Wind like we've not really seen before...total whiteout conditions...and, well, cold. According to weather.com it is currently -2, but feels like -32 because of windchill. I think I'd rather stay inside right now:)

      Delete
  15. I just happened upon your blog and thought I'd say hello! It's awesome you are into bluegrass - I am as well! It looks like we have a number of things in common, actually.
    Anyway, your blog is great and I've enjoyed browsing through it!

    -Leah Kathryn
    apassionatafortheking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Leah! It's kind of funny that your middle name is Kathryn - my little sister's name is Leah Catherine. I must admit, bluegrass is awesome! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you enjoyed (or didn't enjoy) this article, consider leaving a comment so I know that ya stopped by. :) Go ahead, use smiley faces. :D And please keep your comment "with grace, seasoned with salt." Thanks!
"Cowboy" Nick

Popular posts from this blog

The God of Second Chances

Forgiveness

Safety Day '15 (Part 2)